The Willem de Kooning Academy, Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences (WdKA/RUAS), offers a variety of bachelor and master programs in the field of visual culture, art, design, education in arts, and leisure management.
The Majors (of which Product Design is one) are the entry point of study for all Bachelor students. The curriculum of the WdKA is unique because of its interdisciplinary ethos. Students from all majors meet each other in the Practices in the second half of the Bachelor programs - the Practices are interdisciplinary research contexts. Together with the highly unique Stations (advanced workspaces) the Majors and Practices form the three pillars of the WdKA’s curriculum.
At the moment we are looking for:
(Senior) Lecturer Product Design (0.1-0.2 fte)
Deadline for applications: May 7, 2021
The Major Product Design is hiring a Lecturer or Senior Lecturer (level of appointment is based on previous experience) for 0,1 / 0,2 fte with a focus on material practice and concept development. The lecturer we are looking for can also teach storytelling, presenting and should able to work in different (professional) contexts . This should be accompanied with a critical perspective in which climate justice, cultural identity and representation, and other shifting paradigms are explicitly present. Primarily, you should be excited about questioning established norms through design, and be a proponent of critical new design literacy.
We are looking for a hybrid practitioner-teacher who is excited about the possibilities of project-based education, and who wants to grow as an educator. You should be interested in helping to envision the future of the major program, and of design education as a whole. The ability to work collaboratively is a must, as all of our education is team-based.
The candidates would be required to prepare the course in July and start teaching in September 2021.
We warmly welcome applicants from underrepresented, minority, or non-conforming communities. The staff at the Willem de Kooning Academy is diverse, not just in terms of practice profiles but also in terms of culture, gender, and ethnicity.
Duties will include
- Teaching, as a part of a team, in courses ranging from the first year to the fourth;
- Participating in the development of curriculum for the program;
- Participating in assessments, both in the context of classes you are teaching, and in stand-alone assessment moments such as annual competence-based assessments and graduation;
- Responding with flexibility to a workload that varies over the course of the academic year.
- A commitment to developing new forms of design education, and a desire to work with students across the bachelor Product Design program;
- An interest in project-based education and a willingness to participate in team teaching;
- A strong material focus in practice with a critical perspective in which climate justice, cultural identity and other shifting paradigms are explicitly present;
- Hands-on mentality (f.e.; material-based prototyping, modelmaking, 3d modelling; Fusion 360);
- Organizational ability;
- A master-level degree in (product) design or a relevant program is a plus;
- Experience teaching post-secondary level education;
- EU/ECC work authorization;
- An excellent command of verbal and written English;
- An interest and practice-based experience to teach in the interdisciplinary Practices is an advantage;
- Familiarity and an ability to engage with design communities in Rotterdam is a major asset.
We encourage applications from individuals who have a broad view of what product design can be, what forms it can take, and what tools it can use. The successful candidate will be an enthusiastic and thoughtful teacher who is interested in helping the Product Design major adapt to and drive change in the profession. The ideal candidate will have a desire to grow in the position and take an active role in the life of the program and is keen to develop their educational practice alongside an existing professional design practice.
Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences offers a temporary contract, from September 1, 2021 to August 31, 2022. The salary ranges from €2.845,48 to €5.026,85 gross per month (salary scale 10 or 11) for a full-time employment, exclusive of additional 8% holiday pay and 8.3% end-of-year bonus. Secondary benefits include professional training opportunities and an attractive pension scheme.
All staff members of Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences must be able to submit a Certificate of Conduct (Verklaring Omtrent Gedrag, VOG) issued by the Dutch Minister of Justice and Security.
WdKA likes to invest in motivated and well-trained employees. Working at WdKA means that you can use time and facilities (via unlimited access to our Stations) for professionalization. To further your pedagogical development you will be encouraged to undertake pedagogical courses i.e. BKE (Basis Kwalificatie Examinering) and Competency Assessment Course.
You may avail of a Hogeschool Rotterdam discount on your healthcare via Achmea and participate in a solid pension scheme.
Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences works with a limited travel reimbursement (maximum of 20 km).
All documents should be written in English.
The selection procedure will take place in two phases. A short list of applicants will be drawn based on CV, Letter of motivation and portfolio, followed by interviews.
Informal enquiries about the position can be directed to Frederike Top, Course Leader Product Design: F.A.Top@hr.nl
Deadline for applications: 7 May 2021. Apply here.
Please do not use this vacancy as an acquisition opportunity.