Students learn how to design research their own design question through making, source researching and positioning methods. They constantly reflect on what they discover and share their story through storytelling. With their design research they contribute to (their own) new practices.
The Master Design has its own way of doing design research. The MD Circle represents this methodology in methods and lemmas. The curriculum translates all of this into three learning lines and offers workshops, lectures and coaching sessions.
Different kinds of subquestions form the basis of the design research methods the students appropriate. For example, they start talks through conversation pieces, try out assumptions in embodied design and think aloud in a living atlas. That's how they find answers to their design question, allowing them to make choices in their research and in their designs. At the same time, they develop their own methodology for doing design research and position themselves as experts in their own context.
Students come from different design disciplines. During the programme they share iterative research and working with participants.
The Master Design
- is about doing design research into your own design question
- has students & alumni showing on design research-projects
- shares all knowledge generated in the conducted design researches here
- is an International Classroom, meaning that classes and material are in English, but students individually can work in Dutch
- is a part-time course, lasts two years and has a study load of 20 hours per week
- has biweekly workshops on Tuesday evenings and Wednesdays
- has a team of tutors that consists of Jan Belon & Jop Japenga (Afdeling Buitengewone Zaken), Sietske Klooster, Moniek Driesse, Linda Wassenaar, Harma Staal & Hanneke Briër
- also invites interesting guest teachers, such as Suze Swarte & Danielle Arets
- is meant for designers with a Bachelor of Arts or Design
- provides information about the course at the Open Days on Saturday 15 October 2022 and Saturday 11 February 2023, 10.00 AM-15.00 PM
- offers a short preliminary programme in Application Workshops on Tuesday 7 & 28 March 2023, 11 AM - 14 PM
- has its Application Assessments in the week of Monday 8 May 2023 deadline hand in Application Portfolio Tuesday 25 April 2023
- provides additional information on the application and what to work on here
- start in September 2023 with a new group
- is always available for questions and additional information through email@example.com
Additional information about the Master Design which
- is a study of 60 EC
- is low-residency, meaning that a large part of the study load is outside contact time
- in exceptional cases is suitable for students who are not designers, but who explicitly think and work as a designer
- is due to its part-time nature and VISA legislation only accessible to EU residents
- costs around € 1800 (first master's programme) or € 10.000 (second master's programme) per year. Please note that each year the tuition fees are updated. The exact values for 2032-2024 are not known yet
- allows for a DUO Lerarenbeurs