Our apologies, this event is cancelled due to an insufficient amount of registrations
Summer school Rotterdam Babylon
On Visual Complexity in Social, Autonomous and Commercial Practices
Learn how to reach out in complex social environments, and make the communication bubble pop!
Rotterdam is a true Babylon. A constant changing city with 170+ nationalities with its harbour, university and polytechnics. It functions as a magnet for young people worldwide. Rotterdam is a city lab where you can experience how people live together, and reinvent the city over and over again! A hotspot of social complexities, specific for present-day identity exposures under the influence of globalisation and migration. The perfect environment to research the complexity of the cultural and economic fabric of a city. To identify and bridge borders and fractures in physical and non-physical public space.
Are you commercially-driven, an autonomous maker or social change agent?
Want to engage with designers and artists and the city of Rotterdam to explore, expand and strengthen your professional stance?
Then Rotterdam Babylon — an intense eight-day immersive summer course — is for you!
Guided by: Edith Gruson, Gerard Hadders and the experts from the Commercial, Social and Autonomous Practices.
Contributors: Meghan Ferrill (Writer, Educator),Huda Smitshuijzen-AbiFarès (Khatt Foundation),, Dean Bowen (Slam Poet and Writer), Michel de Boer (De Boer Wang Studio, Shanghai), Els Kuijpers (Design Critic, Writer), Elly Uyttenbroek (Exactitudes), Gert Dumbar, Evert van Ginkel (Archaeologist), Jan van Toorn (Designer, Educator, Professor Emeritus), Crimson (Architectural Historian), Kees Went (Sound designer), Elfie Tromp (Writer, Performer).
- Language: English
- Entry level: Bachelor’s degree or comparable level
- Organised by: Willem de Kooning Academy, Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences
- Guided by: Edith Gruson, Gerard Hadders and experts from the Commercial, Social and Autonomous Practices
- Course date: July 18th up until – 25th July 2018
- Course credits: 2 ECTS, with a certificate
- Tuition fee: Euro € 1750,00. Including the Summer School course, course materials and accommodation in ‘the student hotel’. Not including, other living expenses, local travel costs etc.
- Deadline: Application deadline is May 31, 2018