Community of Care

Student Counsellor 

If you are experiencing special circumstances that are affecting your study progress, you can turn to your student counsellor. Circumstances could be: psychological or physical illness or disability, dyslexia, but also relationship or family problems, pregnancy, violence, home eviction threat, addiction, financial problems, concentration and motivation problems, fear of failure etc. 

Positive exceptions are students taking part in top sport activities and those with an administrative position in a student association; these special circumstances can also be discussed with your student counsellor. 

By discussing your problems and through the advice given by your student counsellor, you can often find a solution for the problem yourself. It is also possible that more needs to be done. For instance, if you are studying with a disability, specific agreements can be made with your programme concerning the provisions that you will require in order to obtain your degree (these agreements will be documented in an educational agreement). 

Walk-in consultation hours on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday from 11.00 - 12.00 pm. 

More information: 


Study Career Coach 

During your education you will encounter new challenges connected either to the process of studying or to the development of your own professional competencies and preferences. 

As part of your curriculum, you will be assigned a tutor who will function as your Study Career Coach. They will coach you to meet these challenges with increasing independence. 

Your study coach will inform and guide you through your education. You will see them in individual and group contexts where topics about education, assessments, communication, development, challenges, presentation, learning objectives and personal growth are discussed. 

They will help you understand the academy, the curriculum, but also help you make choices regarding your professional orientation and ambition. The study coach has an independent and confidential role, who knows all aspects of the Academy and your educational route.

Office for Inclusivity (O4i) 

The Office for Inclusivity provides support to students who encounter difficulties or challenges in any issues related to equal opportunities and inclusivity – for example if you face othering or discrimination within the academy. You can go to the O4i for a listening ear in a confidential setting where you can share your experiences, express your concerns, or be advised on how to deal with a situation. 

They organise online and offline walk-in hours on Thursdays between 13.00 - 14.00 hrs. 


Vitality Office 

WdKA Vitality aims to stimulate, facilitate and amplify the vitality of students or employees. Preventive vitality interventions focus on the improvement of one’s sense of purpose, happiness, balance, energy and well-being. The vitality interventions are based on a plethora of themes and topics (mental, social, physical or spiritual well-being) wherein we use the vitality wishes and needs of our community as our guideline. All vitality interventions are available for free for students and employees of the WdKA, both online and at the Academy. 


International Affairs Office 

In your third year you can choose either to go on exchange or internship. Next to the information you can find on mywdka (exchanges) you can also go to the International affairs office. If you have practical questions about visa, insurances, housing, a.s.o you can contact Cora Santjer 


Confidential Advisors 

Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences has rules on protection against discrimination, (sexual) intimidation, bullying, aggression or violence. A complaints procedure has been described for this (see the Hogeschoolgids annex Complaints procedure regarding discrimination, intimidation, harassment, harassment, aggression and violence). 

Students and staff who are confronted with one or more of these problems can contact the confidential advisors who have been appointed at the Hogeschool.  

More information:  


Coaching by fellow students

If being a student at an art school proves challenging, you can also seek help of fellow students acting as peercoaches (LEM) or PALs (KUO). 


Code of conduct

All staff members and students of the WdKA (RUAS) are bound to the University’s code of conduct and integrity (‘Gedragscode omgangsvormen en integriteit’). All staff members and students are thus expected to observe the social norms prevailing within the WdKA , which stem from the University’s fundamental principles as stipulated in the University’s statutes. All staff members and students are also expected to observe generally accepted norms of socially appropriate behaviour.


The education programme of the WdKA includes an internship in the form of a work period in a professional situation. The internship period is a temporary placement in which you, as a future professional designer and artist, will become acquainted with the professional practice, including the scope and range of work activities and various practical aspects of the profession. During the internship, you learn to work independently as well as in a team; to look beyond the boundaries of your own discipline; and establish, benefit from and maintain contacts within the professional field.

Read more

Exchange (study abroad)

Studying abroad will allow you to experience different cultures and perspectives, including new traditions and customs and meeting new people. Fully embracing this new culture is a chance to step out of your comfort zone and experience unfamiliar situations.

In Spring of your 3rd year you can choose either to do an exchange or and (international) internship.

Minor outside WdKA

Follow a minor at another university of applied science with KIES OP MAAT

Students want customization when it comes to their studies, and studying outside their own institution makes this possible. Kies Op Maat offers a wide range of educational programmes from 27 universities of applied sciences and 4 universities. Students can easily apply for a minor or course at another educational institution.

If you opt for a minor at another university in the Netherlands, which is not part of  Kies op Maat, you have to ask approval of your practice coordinator and the Examboard.