The Willem de Kooning Academy, Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences (WdKA/RUAS), offers a variety of bachelor and master programmes in the field of visual culture, art, design, education in arts, and leisure management.
The curriculum of the Willem de Kooning Academy is founded in an interdisciplinary ethos through the Autonomous, Social and Commercial Practices. The Majors are the entry point of study for all Bachelor students; the Practices the interdisciplinary research contexts in the second half of the Bachelor programmes; and the highly unique Stations (advanced workshops focused on Research through Making) complete the three pillars of the institute.
At the moment we are looking for:
Lecturer Photography, Transformation Design (0.1 to 0.2 fte)
Deadline for applications: June 27, 2021. Apply here.
The Major Transformation Design is hiring a Lecturer for 0,1 to 0,2 fte with a focus on photography and affinity of digital technologies.
You are familiar with applying photography as a research tool and creating interactive work using new technologies. This must be accompanied by a critical view of current social issues and other shifting paradigms confronting the contemporary world.
You must be enthusiastic about questioning established norms and behaviour through art and design, and be an advocate of critical new design skills.
We are looking for a hybrid practitioner-teacher who is excited about the possibilities of project-based education, and who wants to grow as an educator. You should be interested in helping to envision and develop the future of the major program, and of design education as a whole. The ability to work collaboratively is a must, as all of our education is team-based.
The candidates would be required to prepare the course in July and start teaching in September 2021.
We warmly welcome applicants from underrepresented, minority, or non-conforming communities. The staff at the Willem de Kooning Academy is diverse, not just in terms of practice profiles but also in terms of culture, gender, and ethnicity.
Duties will include
- Teaching, as a part of a team, in courses ranging from the first year to the fourth;
- Participating in the development of curriculum for the program;
- Participating in assessments, both in the context of classes you are teaching, and in stand-alone assessment moments such as annual competence-based assessments and graduation;
- Responding with flexibility to a workload that varies over the course of the academic year.
- A commitment to developing new forms of art and design education, and a desire to work with students across the bachelor Transformation Design program;
- An interest in project-based education and a willingness to participate in team teaching;
- A strong focus on visual interactive communication in practice and a critical perspective on current societal issues and other shifting paradigms were are facing the contemporary world.
- Hands-on mentality
- Organisational ability;
- A bachelor degree in design (or art) or a relevant programme is a plus;
- Experience teaching post-secondary level education;
- EU/ECC work authorization;
- An excellent command of verbal and written English;
- An interest and practice-based experience to teach in the interdisciplinary Practices is an advantage;
- Familiarity and an ability to engage with design communities in Rotterdam is a major asset.
We encourage applications from individuals who have a broad view of the role of art and design in society and the added value of photography. The successful candidate will be an enthusiastic and thoughtful teacher who is interested in helping and supporting the Transformation Design major adapt to and drive change in the profession. The ideal candidate will have a desire to grow in the position and take an active role in the life of the program and is keen to develop their educational practice alongside an existing professional design practice.
Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences offers a temporary contract, from September 1, 2021 to August 31, 2022. The salary ranges from €2,845.48 to €4.307,21 gross per month (salary scale 10) for a full-time employment, exclusive of additional 8% holiday pay and 8.3% end-of-year bonus. Secondary benefits include professional training opportunities and an attractive pension scheme.
All staff members of Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences must be able to submit a Certificate of Conduct (Verklaring Omtrent Gedrag, VOG) issued by the Dutch Minister of Justice and Security.
WdKA likes to invest in motivated and well-trained employees. Working at WdKA means that you can use time and facilities (via unlimited access to our Stations) for professionalisation. To further your pedagogical development you will be encouraged to undertake pedagogical courses i.e. BKE (Basis Kwalificatie Examinering) and Competency Assessment Course.
You may avail of a Hogeschool Rotterdam discount on your healthcare via Achmea and participate in a solid pension scheme.
Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences works with a limited travel reimbursement (maximum of 20 km).
- Letter of motivation
All documents should be written in English.
The selection procedure will take place in two phases. A short list of applicants will be drawn based on CV, Letter of motivation and portfolio, followed by interviews.
Informal enquiries about the position can be directed to Hill Scholte, Course Leader Transformation Design: email@example.com.
Deadline for applications: 27 June 2021. Apply here.