On 5 June 2018, the annual award show of the Henri Winkelman Award will take place at the Willem de Kooning Academy (WdKA). The Henri Winkelman Award has been created six years ago by the Stichting Ondernermersbelangen Rotterdam. This foundation supports young innovative entrepreneurs on their way with an incentive price of € 10,000.
What is the Award about?
- Encouraging of the young entrepreneurs
- Contributing to entrepreneurship within the Rotterdam creative industry
- Offering WdKA's alumni a platform to connect with companies for new growth opportunities
- Introducing partners to the WdKA with our relevant education and projects
- Maintaining networks and relationships and expanding our network
Collaboration with Stichting Ondernemingsbelangen Rotterdam
Stichting Ondernemersbelangen Rotterdam was founded on 17 May 1949 and has the primary purpose to represent the interests - in the broadest sense - of small and medium-sized businesses in the Rotterdam City Region. The Foundation's target group includes independent entrepreneurs, representatives of entrepreneurs, conferences and meetings, as well as secondary social and cultural projects. The foundation supports entrepreneurs in small and medium-sized businesses that need an extra financial boost to become successful. Read more..
- the nominee is not longer than four years graduated from Willem de Kooning Academy
- cost of living provided by creative practice (not more than 50% subsidy-dependent or dependent on the income from non-creative practice-related work)
- the nominee has received acclaim nationally / internationally with own creative projects
- the nominee is exemplary in own entrepreneurial practice
- the nominee and her/his work contributes to the quality of the creative industry and the image of Rotterdam
- the nominee has submitted a thorough business plan supported by financial statements
Winner of 2018
The winner of 2018 will be announced on June 5th 2018
Winner of 2017: Remty Elenga
Photography: Menno Boer
In 2017, Pioneer Remty Elenga has received the award - a cheque worth € 10.000 - for her studio REM Atelier. Remty has graduated in Fine Arts in 2012.
Quote by the Jury: “The work of REM atelier features the research of everyday objects that results in creating of playful spatial awareness. The jury was particularly keen on the development of the Plant Growing Plants Indoors Plant to Botanic Wall - one custom-made item for retail and catering industry. The jury is curious about the next step in their practice, what comes after?"
Winner of 2016: Jasna Rok
Read Jasna's recent interview here.
Winner of 2015: Studio Mals
Winner of 2014: Isaac Monté
Read Isaac's recent interview here.
Winner of 2013: Jonathan Christopher Hofwegen